I’ve been hard at work trying to get Chapter One into a decent enough shape to be finally beta read. I let the earlier incarnation out to a few folks and I admit, I cringe at the words on the paper. The gist of the story was there, I suppose, but it was in a very rough shape. The latest draft reads much better; not quite diamond, more like cubic zirconia. It’s getting there. I can say that now after a couple of frustrating days.
It’s been two weeks since I got down into no holds barred editing. I’m somewhat surprised at how long one scene took me to get right but I suppose it’s because it was further than the others at getting my character’s point across. I have to keep in mind, when I’m trying to rush through, that the process takes as long as it takes. Good practice for when I’m looking at a nth revision I’ve been asked to do.
What I’m loving is getting all the details in the right place, something I wasn’t so great at the first pass through. I know it’s because I didn’t have all the details to begin with (you’d think these characters would clue me in or what not) but it’s still fun making things click – even for the author!
So, yeay, Chapter One is done and I’ll be foisting it on my unsuspecting victims betas soon. Unfortunately for the husband, he’s really good at being a beta and has no idea about 8,300 words are heading his way. He also doesn’t spare my feelings at all and has no qualms about telling me when something doesn’t work without needing to use the sandwich method. I think that makes me lucky 🙂
I’ve also been paying attention to the music I listen to (either in my head or through my speakers) when I edit a chapter. Chapter One has been brought to you by the oh, so appropriate song Redundant by Green Day.
Photo of ruins by Free Stock Photos